Thursday, May 30, 2024

How to Write a Song

So, let's talk a bit about how to write a song.  Seriously, there's really no mystery in this; you simply do it no matter what your level.  I've had people ask me all sorts of slightly odd questions over the years, like where do you start when writing a song, how do you get an idea, and so on?  My answer is always the same - you just do it.  In fact, if you're "thinking" about it, you're doing it wrong, at least in my opinion.  It's all very Yoda - you do...there is no try.

You'll find a common thread in most people who write a lot of music, something along the lines of "I don't know where the ideas come from...they just happen and almost fall out of the sky".  This is the old "muse" concept, really.  Yes, that's exactly the way I would describe it as well, and it's almost magical.  It's seriously like some other power is doing it for you but I think it's just that you're so free with creativity that you simply do it with little to no thought.

But, how do you tap into that and get that started?  I've done a lot of observing over the years into the mentality of a wide variety of people and I think it's really quite simple.  I personally think there are creative types and non-creative types.  Creative types simply have a need or constant desire to create, no matter what medium, topic, etc.  Non-creative's, though, tend to over think the hell out of creativity and/or be completely intimidated by it.  That's where the probably lies.

So, what if you are somewhere closer to being a non-creative type but still want to write a song?  Again, just do it.  In other words, pick up your instrument, whatever it is, and just start playing.  It can be random chords, a riff, whatever...doesn't matter.  And then, start humming over it or singing or whatever you prefer.  If it's better, imagine the melody over what you're playing; it really makes no difference.  Sure, in the beginning your "songs" will sound pretty flat and not be incredibly exciting, or maybe you'll just feel that they're missing something, and the odds are that they actually are missing something, but the only way to figure that out is to DO it and do it more.  Trust me...you'll get over the hump if you keep working at it.  And, once you start learning how melody fits over chords, you're golden.

If you're a guitar player, even just starting out, don't be afraid to write a handful or more of simple 2-3 chord songs.  Yes, THOSE are songs too.  I mean, how many people have made countless amounts of money doing just that?  Again, don't think about what you're doing...I'd suggest you feel it.  To me, that's where real songwriting lies, in your own feeling for it.  The odds are that if you feel it, someone else just might as well.

Lastly, do not fall into goofy preconceived notions about what a song is, how long it should be, what the format is, what topics, and so on.  In fact, you should really be working to break or reinvent the rules, not follow them.  Now, having said that, there are certain things that you kind of need to at least roughly follow but truly the boundaries are pretty wide open.  I recently had someone say to me about one of my songs online, "Do you realize this song is 9 minutes long?!"  Um...yeah...I, er, wrote it, remember??!  That's another thing - if you intend to share with the world, just prepare to hear many bizarre comments.  People try to be nice and helpful but they often miss the mark unintentionally.  I think building thicker skin is actually part of the deal in this whole process so mentally prepare for it.

I'm no expert in anything since I have the old school mentality that an "expert" is someone that's been nose down in the books and studied under multiple professors for a decade or more.  I have been writing music for over 30 years, though, and I have written about 300+ songs so I think I have some knowledge in this regards.  I'd be more than happy to help anyone out with the concept of song writing.  At the end of the day, I still live by the old adage that you should write what YOU like, not what anyone else wants to hear.  I swear and live by these words, and at least half of my material wouldn't exist without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment